Pietermaai 98 was built back in 1897. What immediately catches the attention is the positioning of the house on the parcel; it's not aligned with the neighboring buildings but significantly placed backward. The date of construction, 1987, is visible in a beautifully decorated oval medallion with two doves holding a shield in the tympanum over the façade.
In 1896, a year before the Governors Residence was built, Willem Coenraad Abraham Evertsz bought a double parcel (Pietermaai 96-98) from Eliza Guilhoux, the widow of Willem Pieter Maal. A mistake was made in the deed of transfer, only Pietermaai 96 was in his name, Pietermaai 98 was not. It wasn't until 1907 that this mistake was corrected in a 'deed of rectification.' In the meantime, Evertsz had already built a house on the parcel.
After his passing, his widow Catharina Elisabeth Hoyer sold both premises to Jacob Cardoze in 1914, who bestowed the houses that same year on his daughter Belinda, married to Julio Cohen Henriquez. In both deeds from 1914, the name of the house is mentioned: Venus. In 1928, Belinda sold Pietermaai 96 to Ernesto Juacinto Rozendal. This is the former parental house of S.G.M. 'Boy' Rozendal, who was prime minister of the Netherlands Antilles from 1977-1979.
Belinda sold Pietermaai 98 to Jozef Henriquez, his family kept the building until 1994. The next owner, Dignus Robert Nagelkerke, sold the house within a year to the next owner who restored the building in 1997-1998 and furnished four apartments in it.
Pietermaai 98 has a symmetrically set up façade with quoins, a triangular fronton, a balcony on Tuscan columns, and curved frames of the fanlights over the doors.
Eliza Guilhoux, widow of Willem Pieter Maal
1897 - Coenraad Abraham Everts
1914 - Jacob Cardoze and his daughter Belinda
1928 - Jozef Henrique
1994 - Dignus Robert Nagelkerke